Thursday, January 05, 2006

So where should we drink tonight?

There's been some odd naming of bars in the Cleveland Park area just lately. The Uptown Tavern for one. In most places, this wouldn't be a problem but when people refer to "the Uptown" in the Cleveland Park area, they're talking about the theater. So why try and compete with that? It's forcing us to use two words when bars should be known by one name, preferably with a maximum of six letters. Nanny's, for example. An odd name for a bar to be sure but when someone says, "I was at Nanny's last night," or I'll meet you at Nanny's at ten," chances are they're not talking about their grandmother. Try saying, "I'll see you at the Uptown on Friday night" to somebody and suddenly you've got a totally unnecessary conversation on your hands.

There's a load of restaurants in Cleveland Park that adhere to the one word name: Ardeo, Lavandou, Palena, Dino, Indique, Alero, Yanni's, and Spices for example. Pretentious sounding for sure, but the latest batch of watering holes could learn from their fancier, yet more simply named, brethren.

The late, lamented (at least by me) Bricks was another great name that caused no confusion. But the new owners decided to rename it the Cleveland Park Bar & Grill. Rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it? Five words and a mighty twenty-two letters. So what's the shorthand of that? CPB&G? Try saying, "I'm off to the CPB&G" out loud. Go ahead, I'll wait.
A common response will be, "what?" Or, from the less verbose, "huh?" And once again you have to explain yourself.

Even the Four P's (as everybody called it), though technically two words I suppose, didn't violate the six letter rule. But now, weighing in at three words and fifteen letters, the Four P's has become Four Green Fields. The best I can come up with is The Fields mainly because I know of an Irish bar in San Diego called The Field and that's a fun little place.

Still, whatever happened to Joe's?

2 comments:

Chris Abraham said...

(I couldn't locate your email, alas)

Hi there,

Hi, my name is Chris and I found you on DC Blogs.

I am trying to collect blogging tips and tricks for a few workshops that I am going to be presenting for the Writer's Center next month and I would love it if you had any advice, tips, or tricks you might want to tell my class about blogging -- I will give you full credit...

The workshops on blogging-for-writers in February at the Writer's Center (actually held at the Arlington Arts Center). http://www.writer.org/workshops/bio-instructor.asp?id=26941

Also, since you are in fact a DC blogger, I thought you might find this interesting -- not for yourself, probably, but maybe as something your friends or family might find interesting. The first one, Starting a Blog, isn't exclusively for writers but should be an excellent general introduction to blogging.

Starting a Blog
http://www.writer.org/workshops/details.asp?id=694

Blogs, Blogging and the Blogosphere
http://www.writer.org/workshops/details.asp?id=689

Blog of Your Own, A: How to Write Your World
http://www.writer.org/workshops/details.asp?id=688

If you are so inclined, I was hoping that you might blog about it.

Also, feel free to keep in touch. I would surely like to meet more of my fellow DC-bloggers.

Cheers,

Chris


--
Chris Abraham +1 (202) 352-5051 cja@well.com
AIM:ChrisPhur MSN:christopherabraham@hotmail.com
http://www.chrisabraham.com Skype: chrisabraham

Anonymous said...

My friends have been calling Cleveland Park Bar and Grill "CPs." Not great, but it's better than "the old Bricks"