Sunday, August 05, 2007

Dive into the Indian Ocean

The Indian Ocean restaurant near the Van Ness Metro station.Don't look now but the Indian Ocean on Connecticut Avenue in the Van Ness area has opened for business! Based on the way things have gone since Reidel's left, it's anyone's guess how long it will stay this way so get in there fast if you're a fan of Indian food. I first wrote about this place back in January when it was -- briefly -- the Coat of Arms. But as of Sunday, August 5, 2007, there it is: all the "North Indian Cuisine" you can shake a stick at. I hope to get in there later this week to give it a try so I'll add my thoughts to this entry by next weekend.



OK, here's the addendum. I'm not a food reviewer by any means, but folks, this was good. I'm told that Heritage India in Dupont Circle is one of the best Indian restaurants around and Indique in Cleveland Park is right up there as well while "Dhaba" as in Delhi Dhaba means "diner" or something like that, but the Indian Ocean was delightful. The menu is restricted for the first week or two -- about five entrees -- but is going to get a lot bigger as time goes by. Presently, the menu is a good introduction to north Indian cuisine. The owner, Raj, emphasized they use a healthy style of cooking; the portions were not huge, yet filling. On an important note -- for me -- they have wine and beer. Although the menu only lists wine bottle prices, you can buy by the glass -- for about seven bucks each.

You'll have to wait for a sensible review until Sietsma or some other foodie goes there but if I had to summarize -- and I do -- I would say this is a fairly upscale place -- for Van Ness anyway -- and if you like Indian food you're probably going to like this place -- get over there and give it a try. It was worth the wait.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

After passing by the storefront every few days, my patience was rewarded when I found Indian Ocean open and ready for business this past Wednesday.

The lamb vindaloo was aromatic and flavorful, with just the right amount of spice, and the rice pudding was creamy and delicious.

Finally, we have a good Indian restaurant here in Van Ness!

Anonymous said...

Just tried a "lunch box" special today--chicken, vegetable of the day, basmati rice, and nann bread. Good stuff (sauce was delicious) and the menu says everything is made without butter or saturated fat. I'm sure I'll be going back!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Daniel and Vannessian! I was thinking of you guys (and lots of others just like you) when I created the Van Ness group on Yahoo groups the other day. This is a group like any other -- aimed at providing local information that's based on local residents' experiences -- except I'm not aware of one in the Van Ness area. If you're interested (and yes, you could be the first to sign up --I'm tired of talking to myself over there) the address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vannessdc/

Shons said...

A group of friends who all live in Van Ness went to the Indian Ocean tonight. The owner was incredibly nice and even brought us free rice pudding because it was my birthday. The food was pretty good and the servers were very attentive.

Anonymous said...

Indian Ocean website will be coming soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Write to connave@gmail.com when the site is finished and I'll add the address to www.connave.com

Bob

Anonymous said...

www.indianoceandc.com is finally up ladies and gentlemen. I have to plug my company...sorry. Site done by NovaThat Design...Thank you

Anonymous said...

www.indianoceandc.com is finally up ladies and gentlemen. Sorry but I have to plug my company...site done by NovaThat Design. Thank You!!!